1630 Families from Dorchester emigrated to Massachusetts where they could practice their religion in peace and build the first Congregational church in New Dorchester.
1662 William Benn became the first Congregational Minister in Dorchester.
1689 Freedom of worship granted with the Toleration Act.
1748 John Haime, a close friend of John Wesley, was the first Methodist preacher in Dorchester.
1813 Congregationalists opened the first Sunday School in Dorchester
1831 Formation of the Dorchester Methodist Circuit
1834 The Tolpuddle Martyrs – six law abiding agricultural labourers who included five Methodists, two of whom were Dorchester Local Preachers – were sentenced at Dorchester Crown Court to transportation for seven years.
1842 First British day-school was opened (with Congregational and Methodist support)
1849 Thomas Hardy became a pupil at the British School.
1857 Opening of the South Street Congregational Church (now the United Church).
1875 Opening of the South Street Methodist Church ( demolished 1980 ).
1972 South Street Congregational Church became a member of the newly formed United Reformed Church.
1978 Union of Dorchester town centre Methodist and United Reformed Churches
1982 Present Church re-opened following alterations and refurbishment
1984 Partnership of Dorchester United Church with St Andreas Kirche, Lübbecke, Germany.
1990 Formation of Dorchester and District Churches Together
2000 Opening of ‘Number Fifty-One’ Gallery and Coffee Lounge, as part of the Catching the Vision Millennium project, which also saw the launch of the Child Contact Centre.